Monday, September 1, 2008

conventioning

While Day One of the RNC was greatly shortened, it provided a nice dress rehearsal for the week to come. When I first heard that the day would only be procedural business, I considered skipping it. I quickly and fortunately changed my mind.

Ater arriving at the Xcel Center I went through a surprisingly light security check- they actually are letting people bring laptops in to the arena.

I quickly realized that the Xcel Energy Center wasn't nearly as impressive as I expected. When I first heard the MSP area was getting the convention, I assumed the Target Center would host the event. When I learned it would be at the Xcel Center, I figured that it must be new and ritzier. Honestly, the building itself is not as nice as the Qwest Center. That said, it is still a nice arena, and they have done an amazing job of equipping the Center for the convention.

The guest section of the arena was almost completely barren, so I sat down in the best seat. Quickly the convention officially started, and quickly it became mundane. Chairman Mike Duncan led the group of delegates through a series of perfunctory motions, followed by an hour long caucus meeting, and another set of perfunctory motions. During this I read a Newsweek, Weekly Standard, plus the lengthy New Yorker article on Obama's roots. Fascinating. (thanks for letting me borrow it Scott!)

As I was nearing the end of the Obama article, everything changed. The announcer announced First Lady Laura Bush was speaking. Without music or fanfare Mrs. Bush gave a brief talk about donating to charities for the South. Following this the governors of the region (save Jindahl) gave video addresses. The session ended with Laura Bush and Cindy McCain imploring everyone watching to donate to charities.

As an aside, it was quite noticeable was the fact that swing states get pandered to immensely, as well as the home states of the nominees (this is true of both parties). Additionally, virtually everybody making any sort of procedural motion was made by somebody from a state that was in play this November/ Arizona.

As for Day Two- All that I (or anyone) was told that unless anything was announced, things would go on as planned. So far haven't heard anything! Yay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am wondering exactly what Lenore says with that?!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mabel, whatever man??